- offline or online, including through our website (Site);
- through or as part of any of our initiatives, including but not limited to the “Know Your Bones” joint initiative with The Garvan Institute of Medical Research ABN 62 330 391 397 (The Garvan Institute).
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
- your name and email address;
- your age and/or date of birth;
- your demographic information, such as postcode;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys, including regarding your preferences and opinions;
- details of any enquiries you have made to us, and our response to you;
- information about your access and use of our Site, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Site, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties.
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- so you can access and use our Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- so you can participate in any of our initiatives, surveys, or assessment tools, including but not limited to the “Know Your Bones” assessment tool offered as part of a joint initiative with The Garvan Institute;
- to contact and communicate with you;
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes;
- for analytics or research (your personal information will be de-identified);
- to better understand bone health and bone health trends across Australia;
- to send you information that may be relevant for you, including research updates; and
- to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services;
- our employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- third parties, who assist us in providing information or services to you. This may include parties located, or that store data, outside of Australia; and
- third parties to collect and process data. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia.
By providing us with personal information, you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to third parties who reside outside Australia and acknowledge that we are not required to ensure that those third parties comply with Australian privacy laws.
How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
Sensitive information is a sub-set of personal information that is given a higher level of protection under the Australian Privacy Principles. Health information is sensitive information and we may collect this type of information from you, for example information on fractures, your weight or height, medications and your diagnostic history.
We will not collect sensitive information about you without first obtaining your consent.
Provided you consent, your sensitive information may only be used and disclosed for purposes relating to the primary purpose for which the sensitive information was collected, including:
- to provide you with information about your personal bone health, or an online assessment regarding your bone health;
- to obtain anonymised data about bone health and bone health trends in Australia; and
- to develop procedures, policies, submissions or strategies to improve bone health in Australia.
Sensitive information may also be used or disclosed if required or authorised by law.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Dealing with us anonymously: You will be given the opportunity to deal with us anonymously, for example if you choose to complete our “Know Your Bones” online assessment, you can fill in this survey anonymously.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. In certain circumstances, as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), we may refuse to provide you with personal information that we hold about you.
Correction: If you believe that any information you have provided to us through our “Know Your Bones” online assessment is inaccurate, out of date or incomplete, and that this affects the results from the assessment, you will need to complete the online assessment with updated information to correct your results.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies and web beacons
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact us at:
Healthy Bones Australia (ABN 45 098 570 515)
PO Box 550
Broadway NSW 2007
Last update: June 2020